Looking for Unbiased BackupBuddy Review2022, Don’t Worry, I got you covered.
Running a website isn’t as easy as it seems. You need to take care of various factors such as security, virus, disasters, and backup of your content. Therefore, the first step should be to create a backup for your WordPress website. But the question is how does a backup work?
Migrating to a WordPress site can be a headache. You have to make sure you export all the posts, images, and other data before you import it on your new site.
It is always advisable to create a manual backup and download your files but if you use and update your website regularly, it doesn’t really work with the manual backup.
Why Do You Need a Backup Plugin for WordPress?
The Internet isn’t always as secure as we’d like it to be. DDOS attacks, hacking attempts, and data theft bring thousands of websites down every day. Many website owners are unaware of the value of backups until their data is lost. Data recovery is costly, time-consuming, and completely avoidable with appropriate backups. There are a number of WordPress backup options available. Here’s what we’re searching for in a backup solution for a WordPress-based website.
- Automatically creates backups on a regular schedule
- Stores the backups on the cloud
- Offers painless restore and migration from backups
Let’s take a look at BackupBuddy and see how well it does all this and then some more.
Why should you use BackupBuddy?
BackupBuddy has been a part of my life since its inception in 2010. Since then, it’s been improved to function on sites of all sizes (I’ve backed up sites as large as 12GB using BackupBuddy) and in a wide range of hosting situations. I say “most” hosting environments since BackupBuddy does have some basic needs in order to execute its function, which is a fairly major and significant one.
All of these standards are met by default by any standard, paid hosting provider. When you use a free hosting company, however, these standards are frequently not followed, which might be a problem. I’ve successfully used BackupBuddy on a variety of hosting providers to back up a variety of websites and migrate them (when necessary) to new hosting providers.
The BackupBuddy support team has walked me through the settings I needed to alter in order for the plugin to perform properly when I’ve run across overly throttled hosting providers (e.g. Go Daddy).
What is BackupBuddy?
BackupBuddy is the first WordPress backup plugin, and it can be installed on any self-hosted WordPress site. When BackupBuddy performs a backup of your site, you can download a zip file containing all of the backup files, ensuring that your backups are always yours. These WordPress backup tools are also available with BackupBuddy:
- Backups on a Scheduled, Automated Basis — Create backup schedules that operate on a configurable schedule.
- Backup Profiles and Directory Exclusions – Customize the type of backup BackupBuddy performs (database only, complete, files only) and Store Your Backups Offsite – Store your backups safely offsite. BackupBuddy supports Amazon S3, Dropbox, Google Drive, Rackspace Cloud Files, and BackupBuddy Stash (our own offsite storage destination) so you can safely store your backups.
Instead of restoring the entire site, BackupBuddy allows you to restore individual files from a backup. The Database Rollback feature in BackupBuddy is useful for reverting to a previous version of your theme’s stylesheet or template.
Simply upload the ImportBuddy file and your backup zip file to restore your WordPress site. ImportBuddy will guide you through the procedures to restore your WordPress site, including all of your settings, themes, plugins, widgets, and other items.
Why BACKUPBUDDY Plugin?
BackupBuddy does not solely backup your WordPress database, unlike other plugins. It offers to backup your entire installation, all WordPress files, all your WordPress themes, and many more. The most distinctive feature of this plugin is that it covers each component required to protect a website.
What functions does BackupBuddy offer?
The Importbuddy PHP script that comes with BackupBuddy makes restoring a backed-up site a breeze. You navigate to importbuddy.php in your browser (e.g. www.example.com/importbuddy.php) after uploading the backup zip file of your site and the importbuddy.php file to the directory where you wish to install the website.
The BackupBuddy team at iThemes has continued to improve the plugin and add new features throughout the years, and they are currently doing so. These include the following today:
- The database just, themes only, plugins only, media only, or the entire site can be backed up (everything)
- Hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, and annual backup schedules are available.
- Backups in real-time
- On the iThemes servers, you get 1GB of free storage (used in conjunction with real-time backups)
- Backup files are automatically sent to Dropbox, Google Drive, or other off-site storage destinations for both manual and automated backups (11 options in total)
- Setup of the site (from staging to live site on the same domain)
- Migration of the website (from one server and domain to another)
- Perform database updates and modifications.
- Tracks and reports on site modifications since the latest backup (helpful for spoofing).
10 Distinctive Features That Make BackupBuddy Different From Other Plugins
You might wonder what makes the BackupBuddy plugin quite distinctive from other plugins in spite of a number of plugins in the WordPress repository.
1) COMPLETE BACKUPS
BackupBuddy does not just back up a database of the website. It completely backup all the files as well as themes in the WordPress directory. Moreover, you can choose a custom backup for a specific file or directory. It also offers to backup a non WordPress related files and data. Thus BackupBuddy provides all the backups with just one plugin.
2) SCHEDULED AND AUTOMATIC BACKUPS
You can schedule or delay your backup through this plugin. It just doesn’t allow you to schedule a backup of the whole database but also schedule a particular component or theme.
- Multiple Backups – It provides a wide range of backups such as database backups, a combination of backups or backup of a file or directory.
- Flexible Schedules – It offers a flexible and wide variety of backup of intervals such as hourly, weekly or monthly.
3) OFF-SITE STORAGE FOR YOUR BACKUPS
A WordPress plugin must offer various off-site storage locations as one should be skeptical about the servers down or backups inaccessible. Thus BackupBuddy provides various storage locations such as Email, Amazon Web Services, FTP servers, Stash Dropbox, Google Drive, and many more.
Further, it is delivered as a zip file that can be downloaded to the computer. Thus you can save a particular file at once instead of saving it one by one on your computer. Unzipping the zipped file will download all your data to your computer. You can later import it to your site as a zipped file.
4) EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS
Unlike other backup plugins, the BackupBuddy plugin notifies the user about the completion or the failure of the backup. If a plugin does not notify the user about the completion or failure of the backup, it will serve no purpose to the user until it’s too late.
5)DIRECTORY SIZE MAP OF YOUR SITE
BackupBuddy provides various interactive tools, one of them being the site size maps. Usually, a user is unable to see that where is most of the space being used on the site. This tool serves as the best aid for it. A user can check the spaces and junks which takes too much space of the website. You can always exclude or include a directory and look up for the size of the particular directory in the backup.
6) SERVER TOOLS
This tool tells about your server and about its status. Further, the server tools can quickly find out the PHP versions, PHP memory time, and executions. Furthermore, some tools are essential for a WordPress backup plugin:
- Database Scan and Repair- Our database too needs to be malware or error-free and optimized in order to have a proper backup. Thus, the WordPress plugin scans the database and repairs it if needed before the backup.
- Tracks hosting problems- These tools can track down hosting or any issues related to it. You can look at your server settings and capabilities.
7) MOVE OR MIGRATE WORDPRESS
No other plugin offers the choice to move the WordPress site to a new domain or host. This plugin offers to move a temporary domain to a live domain. Some more features offered by BackupBuddy plugins are:
BackupBuddy helps a user to clone a WordPress site. It makes a complete copy of your WordPress themes, widgets, databases, etc.
BackupBuddy replaces all the URLs in a site when it is migrated to a new domain. It also replaces text in your database.
BackupBuddy offers a deployment tool where you can connect your staging site to an existing site thus making the changes quickly.
8) SECURE YOUR WordPress SITE
BackupBuddy plugin secure and optimize your WordPress site to make it more secure and efficient. This plugin offers various distinctive features such as:
- Database Scan- This plugin scans and repairs all your databases.
- WordPress Cron Manager- You can delete or view CRON jobs on your low traffic sites using the BackupBuddy
- Scanning Malware – A site must be clean and uninfected in order to have a useful and effective backup. A site containing malware would have a backup which is usually useless.
9) CUSTOMIZATION OF BACKUP
BackupBuddy does not merely backup your whole website but also customize your entire backup contents. You can exclude or include some files or data folders which can save a lot of time as well as save a lot of space. You can backup large-sized files later or as a secondary backup.
10) FREE i-THEMES SYNC SITES
iThemes sync is one such platform that manages all your websites from one place thus saving your time. iThemes and BackupBuddy integrate which offers various tools such as:
- SEO Checker and Google Console
- WordPress site Monitoring
- One-click Update
- WordPress Plugins and Themes Manager
BACKUP BUDDY LATEST VERSION
BackupBuddy has come up with a number of updates to date. The latest version being BackupBuddy 8.2. Unlike version 8.1, it has got some remarkable changes which you are surely going to love:
- Deployment of data- The latest version of the BackupBuddy plugin allows the user to switch its database, media and other plugins from a staging site to a live site. This allows the user to create a test for his live site.
- Faster deployment- The latest version has an increased deployment speed of up to 15x from the staging site to a live site or vice versa. Files can be transferred quickly and single files can be transferred by increased speed of up to 37%.
- Exclusions and Inclusions- You can exclude files or folders as well as include some additional files which are outside the media or themes during deployment with great ease using the latest version of BackupBuddy. Thus, you can switch easily to a live site by including some prototypes.
- Change in Visibility– You can change the visibility of the deployed site to a visible, not visible or no change just by looking into deployment settings. This would prevent search engines from indexing this site.
BACKUPBUDDY PRICING PLANS
A number of people would be curious to know about the installation and pricing of the BackupBuddy plugin. The pricing plan given below is:
- The basic pricing starts with $80 recommended for bloggers with a storage of 1 GB and storage such as Stash, You can use it on 2 sites.
- A freelancer plan costs $100 with 1 year of updates, 1 GB of storage in Stash and Stash live, and can backup a maximum of 10 sites.
- If you are a developer, it is recommended to buy this plan which costs $150 thus offering 10iThemes sync sites and backup of 50 sites.
- A gold plan costs $197 with 5GB of storage space and backup of unlimited sites.
You can get these plans at low prices by applying a coupon of up to 25% off.
After the successful purchase, you will have to download the BackupBuddy plugin on your computer. After installation and activation, you will be redirected to the iThemes license page where you will be asked to enter your password and username. After login, click on licensing products and your license for the use of BackupBuddy will be activated.
Upon activation of the license, you can get access to various iThemes sites and storage systems such as Stash and Stash live.
BACKUPBUDDY REVIEWS & TESTIMONIALS BY REAL USERS
5 reasons why we recommend BackupBuddy!
BackupBuddy compared to other plugins!
Apart from BackupBuddy, there is a slew of other backup plugins that support full-site and database-only backups. Here are a few of the more interesting ones:
- Updraft plus
- Vaultpress (requires a Jetpack subscription)
As previously said, all of these plugins will backup your entire site and do some of the same functions as BackupBuddy. They’re all excellent plugins. However, not all of them perform all of the functions that BackupBuddy offers. Here are some distinctions:
Updraft is a free plugin, but if you want to migrate your site, manage multi-site installs, or do database queries and changes, you’ll need to subscribe to premium.
This plugin is simple to use (the user interface is decent), but it does require a premium upgrade to add more remote destinations or receive priority support.
This one doesn’t have backup schedules, but it does have backup and migration capabilities.
Vaultpress is a good option, but it requires a Jetpack subscription. This will necessitate creating a WordPress.com account and installing the Jetpack plugin on your site. Jetpack has been chastised for being too “heavy” (slowing down websites), though this has improved over time.
Frequently Asked Questions
💥What is ImportBuddy?
Instead of restoring the entire site, BackupBuddy allows you to restore individual files from a backup. The Database Rollback feature in BackupBuddy is useful for reverting to a previous version of your theme's stylesheet or template. Simply upload the ImportBuddy file and your backup zip file to restore your WordPress site. ImportBuddy will guide you through the procedures to restore your WordPress site, including all of your settings, themes, plugins, widgets, and other items.
👍What can I do with BackupBuddy?
Scheduled automatic backups, sends files to Google Drive, Dropbox, or 9 other alternatives, real-time backups, database roll-backs, manages domain changes, moves your site to another server and/or domain, managed WordPress staging site, database scan, and repair, and more are all included.
✌How does BackupBuddy work?
BackupBuddy provides you with a zip file that you may use to upload and restore a broken site, ensuring that you always have the most recent backup of your site. BackupBuddy guides you through the procedures to restore your media files, text, plugins, and more once they've been uploaded. You can also select to restore certain files rather than the entire site if that's what you want to do. You can even set custom backup intervals for automated backups.
✔ Can I migrate my database to another domain using BackupBuddy?
BackupBuddy is an exceptionally user-friendly migration tool for transferring a website from one server to another or to a new domain name. Simply transfer your backup and the importbuddy.php file to your new server. Then, to effortlessly move your website, run the Importbuddy script.
👀How much storage does BackupBuddy offer?
Each BackupBuddy plugin grants you 1 GB of cloud storage on BackupBuddy's Stash service. The plugin also allows you to erase old backups from your cloud storage automatically. This suggests that 1 GB is sufficient for 95% of websites. However, if you require additional storage, it is accessible. For about $35 per year, you may have 5 GB of storage.
✔For how long can I store my data with the BackupBuddy base plan offer?
The basic monthly membership (currently US$3.50) only allows you to save backups in the offered archives for 30 days. The cost per website goes to US$29 if you want extended storage durations.
✔Can I schedule automatic backups using BackupBuddy?
BackupBuddy makes it simple to set up an automatic backup plan and then forget about it. It will create backups according to the schedule you choose. You can alter this timetable to match your needs depending on how frequently you add new content to your website.
👉Why should I use backup software?
The advantage of having a site-specific backup is that you can back up your website whenever you want or need to, such as after making any changes. You don't have to wait for your hosting company's next scheduled backup.
💥How should I choose the right backup software for WordPress?
A solid WordPress backup solution must include both components: BackupBuddy backs up your entire WordPress installation, including your media library, themes, plugins, widgets, content, settings, and database, unlike other WordPress backup plugins. Don't be deceived by backup plugins that merely backup your database; this isn't enough to restore your entire site. A simple and quick method for restoring WordPress. If something goes wrong, BackupBuddy's restore function can quickly get your site back up and running.
👉What is a Back up buddy?
BackupBuddy helps with backing up your site. BackupBuddy backs up your site, provides scheduled backups, and it also lets you back up to a remote place (not on your computer). If something goes wrong, BackupBuddy can help you get the website back to normal.
👉How much does backup buddy cost?
The cost for BackupBuddy starts at $80 per year for 2 sites. For $297, you can get the gold license and be able to use it on as many websites as you want. You will also be able to get upgrades and lifetime support for those sites.
👉Is backup buddy good?
BackupBuddy is a safe solution for small websites and bloggers. You should back up your site to more than one destination! This way it is protected if you have any problems. BackupBuddy makes this process easy and affordable.
👉Is BackupBuddy free?
If you have a BackupBuddy, Plugin Suite or Toolkit license, the new update is now available for free. There are 3 ways to update: From the WordPress dashboard – Update BackupBuddy from your WordPress - Updates page in your WordPress dashboard.
Conclusion: BackupBuddy Review (BackupBuddy Coupon Code 25% Off)
Thus, BackupBuddy is a one-stop solution for the backup as well as other tasks which would require different plugins.
BackupBuddy is a good way to back up your WordPress site. There are many features you can use on it, and it has a nice interface. It is easy for beginners to use, too. The code from the plugin is backed up and safe.
You can get professional support from BackupBuddy if you have any questions or problems with the plugin’s operation.
Thus BackupBuddy plugin will help you in not just backup but also various important tasks such as SEO checker, storage, and security. You can choose any of the plans and get started with your backup today.
Do let me know if you feel the need for multitasking on your website with just one plugin.