In this post, we will discuss Benchmarks For Email Marketing 2023
Email marketers have had a crazy couple of years.
Granted, you can say that about almost anything, but it feels especially true in the field of email marketing, where we’ve seen some staggering numbers and massive technological advancements.
Using this 2022 Email Marketing Benchmarks Report, I am here to help you make sense of it all. This analysis will show you how your emails should perform in comparison to those in your industry, as well as what you can do to enhance those numbers.
If you’re concerned about whether your click-through rates (CTR) seem to be too weak or if your unsubscribe rate has increased, then this report has the solution.
I will also go over some recommended practices for increasing engagement and evaluating your results as the year progresses.
How Did We Collect Our Data?
If you’re not familiar with the CM Group, Campaign Monitor is one of their brands. We are one of the world’s largest email marketing organizations when we work together.
We studied nearly one hundred billion emails sent throughout our platforms in 2022 for this study, providing you with the most complete benchmark data & email marketing statistics available.
Let’s have a look at what we’ve got.
Industry-specific email benchmarks
We’re frequently asked what constitutes a good email open rate or click-through rate. The quick answer is that it is debatable. As you can see, critical engagement indicators can vary a lot depending on your sector and other things.
|Industry||Open Rates||Click-Through Rates||Click-To-Open Rates||Unsubscribe Rates|
|Advertising & Marketing||20.5%||1.8%||9.0%||0.2%|
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing, Hunting||27.3%||3.4%||12.5%||0.3%|
|Consumer Packaged Goods||20%||1.9%||11.1%||0.1%|
|Restaurant, Food & Beverage||18.5%||2.0%||10.5%||0.1%|
|Government & Politics||19.4%||2.8%||14.3%||0.1%|
|Logistics & Wholesale||23.4%||2.0%||11.7%||0.3%|
|Media, Entertainment, Publishing||23.9%||2.9%||12.4%||0.1%|
|Real Estate, Design, Construction||21.7%||3.6%||17.2%||0.2%|
|Travel, Hospitality, Leisure||20.2%||1.4%||8.7%||0.2%|
|Wellness & Fitness||19.2%||1.2%||6.0%||0.4%|
|Average Totals||21.5% (+3.5%)||2.3% (-0.3%)||10.5% (-3.6%)||0.1% (-)|
The above data is taken from campaignmonitor
It’s simple to see certain trends in these indicators since they correlate to events from the previous year. The Education industry, for instance, has the greatest open rate of 28.5 percent as well as the maximum click-through rate of 4.4 percent.
This makes sense because, for things like COVID policies, schools have to engage with their parents and kids more than ever previously.
Government & Politics had been ranked first in our previous survey, which takes into account that 2020 was a crucial election year for the United States.
The retail industry is one to keep an eye on. It has the poorest open rate among industries (17.1%) and the largest year-over-year increase in open rate, up 4.5 percent.
With a click-to-open rate of 17.2 percent, Real Estate, Design, and Construction is undoubtedly enjoying the real estate market boom in the year 2021.
Mail Privacy Protection is having an impact.
- While the differences in median open rate (up 3.5 percent year-over-year) & click-to-open rate ( which is down by 3.6 percent) may not appear to be substantial on the surface, they are important! There’s a purpose for it.
- For all those unaware of Mail Privacy Protection, it’s a new privacy feature from Apple that was announced in September 2021 and allows customers further control over the data in their mailbox.
- Through pre-fetching (or downloading) an email as well as its images (including each email’s tracking pixels), MPP effectively prevents open rate tracking. MPP is artificially increasing open rates for any user who already has subscribed to this new feature by classifying an email as accessed in this way. Check out this guide for more information on MPP.
- It’s easy to see how MPP affects open rates simply by looking at the numbers year over year. But when you look at it on a month-by-month scale, it becomes even clearer.
- After the developer beta of iOS 15 was published on June 7th, there was a slight increase in open rates. Then on June 30th, the public beta was released. Then, on September 20th, when iOS 15 was made public, we witnessed a significant increase in open rates.
This is something we’ll probably see more of as consumers continue to use the function, so it is interesting to keep a watch on as we approach 2022.
Check out our piece about the prospect of open rates for additional information about MPP.
- Day-by-day email benchmarks
Every marketer claims to know the optimum day to send an email, however, do they really have the evidence to back up their claims? Check whether you have been sending on the appropriate days during the previous year.
- When is the best time to send marketing emails?
By examining email stats by day, it appears that there isn’t a lot of variation in how emails would perform on different days. Weekdays, as expected, perform best, with the weekend having the lowest engagement figures.
- Monday is the best day for email open rates (22.0 percent )
- Tuesday is the best day for click-through rates (2.4 percent )
- Wednesday and Tuesday are the days with the highest click-to-open rates (10.8 percent )
- Throughout the week, the rate of email unsubscribes was nearly identical (0.1 percent )
Sending promotional emails on the worst days
The lowest-performing days for sending, according to the world average by the day given above.
- Sunday is the worst day for email open rates (20.3 percent )
- Saturday and Sunday are the worst days for click-through rates (2.1 percent )
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are the worst days for click-to-open rates (10.1 percent )
- While this information is important from an academic standpoint, you should carefully evaluate your own audience and do email tests before removing entire days from your campaign schedule.
Benchmarks for email by region
Comparing email standards by location and seeing how subscribers throughout the planet respond to email can be fascinating. Though there aren’t major disparities in participation between locations, there are some interesting variables to consider.
The Asia-Pacific (APAC) zone has the highest overall engagement rates, as well as the highest unsubscribe rates. Subscribers in this region are clearly interested in email marketing, but they’re also cautious about who they let into their inboxes.
- Best WordPress Email Marketing Plugins For Better Engagement
- SendPulse Alternatives; Choose Best Email Marketing Tool
- Omnisend Free Trial: How to Get Started with Email Marketing
Email is still very much alive, as it always has been. Email marketing continues to work admirably, generating significant returns for organizations all around the world. When it comes to measuring the performance of your marketing strategies, holding your data and communicating with clients where they would seem to be in their inboxes—can be big considerations.
Customers frequently tell me that they understand the workings of email marketing, but they’re not sure how to use it to get the outcomes they require to expand their business. With these metrics, you can assess how your email approach stacks up against the competition and where a tad extra time and effort will provide the best results.