Have you ever wondered about the prices of products on Amazon and got questions like “Did I miss a good deal?” Is the discount I am seeing right now really true? Or has it just been marked with a higher price?”
I have wondered about that a lot and that’s how I discovered about Amazon price trackers! Yes, there are software solutions that track the prices on Amazon for you. CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa is one of the most discussed comparisons. They are two of the most popular Amazon Price Trackers in the market which track prices of millions of products listed on Amazon.
In this article, I will share why you should use a price tracker and which one. We will look over the various features that you can expect and how they make your online shopping experience a lot better and allow you to grab the best deals on Amazon!
Why should you use an Amazon Price Tracker?
I think I speak for both of us when I say that we want to get the ‘products we want’ at the best possible price. It is often the case that we wait for sales on these online shopping platforms to grab the best prices. But what if the prices are unchanged and you are just being fooled in the name of a ‘Sale’?
How will you ever know that the price really decreased? Amazon is smart. They haven’t yet implemented any sort of price tracking on their website. This is where Amazon Price Tracking tools like CamelCamelCamel and Keepa come in.
They do the hard work of tracking prices of millions of products available on Amazon, so you don’t have to and know what the price of the product has been over a course of time.
CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa: An Overview
Now that we’ve established why a price tracker can be a boon for you, let’s look into which are the good ones.
While researching various price trackers, I came across the heated debate of CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa. Both of them track prices on Amazon, analyze the data and present you useful stats that can help you make the best purchasing decision.
CamelCamelCamel and Keepa are two of the best price tracking companies and have proved to be reliable over the years.
Let’s take a look at them individually and decide which is the best one for you.
CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa: Overview
What is CamelCamelCamel?
The first challenger in our Keepa vs CamelCamelCamel debate is CamelCamelCamel.
CamelCamelCamel was founded back in 2008. It is a website that tracks Amazon Product Price History. They maintain a database of prices of millions of products on Amazon’s inventory. Currently, a total of 8 countries are supported.
To use CamelCamelCamel’s price tracking you can either download their browser extension. It currently supports Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Support for Apple Safari browser was recently halted but is expected to be back soon.
If you don’t wish to download an extension, you can simply browse for the product on their website or get their ‘Bookmarklet’. This way when you are looking at a product on Amazon, you can simply click the ‘bookmarklet’ and it will take you to the CamelCamelCamel page for that product.
All information can be viewed on the product page on CamelCamelCamel such as price history, lowest price, list price, etc.
Services offered by CamelCamelCamel are completely free. Yes, I couldn’t believe it either.
How to use CamelCamelCamel?
There are 3 ways that you can use CamelCamelCamel to track prices and set price alerts.
- CamelCamelCamel website – Head over to their website and search for the product you want. You’ll get all the details you need about it right there on their website.
- Browser Extension – Download the relevant browser add-on for the browser you are using. Once downloaded you can go to the Amazon website and search the product you want. When you open the product page, click the CamelCamelCamel extension and you’ll get the price graph without leaving the page.
- Bookmarklet – This feature is rather unique. You can use the bookmarklet available on the CamelCamelCamel website. Save it. Now, whenever you go on the Amazon website, you’ll see 3 camels near the product name, which means it has been detected. Now just click the bookmarklet and you’ll be taken to the relevant page on the CamelCamelCamel website.
What is Keepa?
The second challenger in our Keepa vs CamelCamelCamel debate is Keepa.
Keepa was founded in 2017. It is based out of Europe and currently provides a detailed price history of over 1 billion Amazon products in 10 countries. Yes, over 1 billion products are tracked by Keepa. Keepa has a free service but its true power is seen in its premium subscription service.
The Keepa website displays a lot of details about a wide variety of products such as the top deals currently. You are not required to sign up with Keepa to access any of that information.
Alternatively, you can download the Keepa browser extension to utilize their Amazon price tracking features. The extension is free to download and you can track the product you want to keep an eye on. You may, however, require to sign up to access some features.
Keepa browser extension is available on Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera Browser, and Microsoft Edge.
How to use Keepa?
Using Keepa is very easy. There are 2 ways you can make use of Keepa’s services.
- Keepa Website – Head over to Keepa’s website. Search for the product you want. You can see all the details and the relevant price graphs. You can set alerts. You do not require to register.
- Keepa Browser Extension – Download Keepa’s extension for your favorite browser. The links can be found on Keepa’s website or you can just easily search them on Google and you’ll find them. Next, head over to the Amazon product page of your liking. Click the Keepa notification and you’ll be able to see all the graphs, charts and set alerts without going anywhere.
CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa: Features
Let’s talk about the features of each of our challengers individually. This will help us understand what exactly we get when we choose either CamelCamelCamel or Keepa.
- Price Drop Alerts – We all have that one product on our wishlist which we’d grab the second it gets discounted, don’t we? When you use the Price Drop Alert on CamelCamelCamel you get an email that alerts you whenever there is a price drop on your favorite product! Isn’t that great? You simply have to set your desired price and whenever that price is matched or the price falls that, you’ll be instantly alerted through an email! Never miss deals again!
- Amazon Wishlist Import – This is one of my favorite features. It enables you to import wishlists from your Amazon account to CamelCamelCamel to get the price history of all the products! You can then place those products on the price watch to be alerted whenever there is a price drop.
- Price History Charts – One of my CamelCamelCamel’s most important features is its price history graphs. The Price history graph shows you the price of a particular product over a period of time. You can select the time period you want the data for. This helps you to analyze what time of the year a product may be discounted. Not just that there’s also availability data, so you’ll know when a product is available or out of stock.
- The Camelizer – Camelizer is the name of the browser extensions for CamelCamelCamel. With this, you can view the price history graphs of the products without leaving the Amazon website. This way, you can instantly create a price watch for that product without going to the CamelCamelCamel website. You can download the Mozilla add-on from Firefox’s own page, and for the CamelCamelCamel chrome extension, you should go to Chrome’s web store.
- Amazon Product Search – If you are on the CamelCamelCamel website, you can directly search for the products on Amazon and see their price history, graphs, etc. You don’t have to go to Amazon, get the product link, and come back. They’ve made it pretty simple to use.
Keepa CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa Comparison Features
Let’s look into Keepa’s features to see what we can expect.
- Detailed Graphs – Keepa’s graphs are like no others in the market. You will not find as many details as Keepa provides, anywhere else. Even with the free version, you’ll be getting a lot of useful details.
- Alerts – Just like its competitor, Keepa can also send you price drop alerts whenever the price falls below a set price. It can also tell you when something has become available again.
- Browser Extensions – Keepa too provides its own browser extensions. You can download the same from the respective app stores such as Keepa for Chrome will be found on the Chrome web store. With the extension installed, you won’t need to leave the amazon product page and you’ll get all the graphs you need right there.
- Optional Registration – You can use Keepa to track product prices without having to register on their website. You can use most of the features which come free and utilise them to make your analysis.
- Wishlist Import – Import your Amazon wishlist and track them all with Keepa’s excellent graphs. You can form data tables and get all the important information in one place.
CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa: Pricing
There’s really not much to discuss in this regard in this CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa debate.
CamelCamelCamel is free completely and there’s nothing that you have to pay for. You can use all of its features, browser extensions, without having to pay a dime. The graphs, price drop alerts, wishlist import, all of it is completely free.
The same is not true for Keepa. Keepa maintains a no-registration free version that has a ton of features in itself. You can do almost everything without having to buy the subscription. You can browse the deals, see price graphs, set alerts on the free version.
Then you must be wondering why would anyone pay for Keepa? Well, the answer is in its advanced features.
When you buy the Premium Data Access for Keepa, you actually are signing up for more advanced data. This data is most useful for people looking to sell on Amazon or already are selling on Amazon. If you are an Amazon seller, Keepa Premium can help you make more profits.
Keepa Premium Data Access is priced at 15 Euros/month or 149 Euros/year.
If you require the Keepa API the prices are different and not included in this plan. Keepa API plans are prepaid and recurring. Prices differ according to the ‘token per minute’ required.
The plans are priced as follows –
- 20 tokens/minute – 39 Euros/month
- 60 tokens/minute – 99 Euros/month
- 250 tokens/minute – 369 Euros/month
- 1000 tokens/minute – 1199 Euros/month
You can downgrade/upgrade as you require. For more details exclusively related to API, you should definitely give the official website a visit.
Should you buy Keepa Premium?
To answer that question, you need to ask yourself some important questions.
Questions like –
- How many products will I be searching for?
- Do I need to do batch searches using ASINs?
- Do I need top sellers?
- Do I need all of the data in large quantities for a lot of products?
If your answer to the questions above is yes, maybe you should purchase the subscription. Keepa Premium is primarily aimed at Amazon sellers, Amazon FBA sellers, eBay sellers. If you’re anyone of those, this tool could be a good business investment for product research.
Attached on the side is the official feature list comparison between the Free user and Premium user with a Keepa subscription.
As you can see, with a free account, you can get almost everything done with most data needed for a normal consumer. A person just browsing or shopping online will not require Keepa Premium at all.
But for a product researcher, the story is a bit different. You do not get the Interactive Graphs for Sales Rank, Buy Box, Offer Counts, etc without a premium subscription.
The Premium version will limit most limits to a substantial level and offer much more data and freedom to perform product and sales analysis. If you are looking to do any of that, you should upgrade to the Keepa Premium.
CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa: Pros and Cons
So, now that we’ve discussed the features and pricing of both CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa, let’s look at their pros and cons.
CamelCamelCamel Pros and Cons
|CamelCamelCamel Pros||CamelCamelCamel Cons|
The fact that CamelCamelCamel is completely free to use adds heavily on its pros. Every feature that CamelCamelCamel has can be used freely by anyone.
Many users have appreciated the fact that you don’t have to download anything at all to use their services. The interface is simple. You don’t have to learn how to use it. All the information you want and the ability to set price alerts can be accessed from both the Amazon product page as well as CamelCamelCamel website. This makes it very convenient to use.
On the not-so-bright side of things, the CamelCamelCamel website seems rather bland. I personally am not a fan of the UI, even though the site itself works very well. The support for Apple Safari extension was halted recently due to non-compatibility issues on Apple’s new update. Though you can just use the bookmarklet or the website directly and enjoy the same benefits.
Keepa Pros and Cons
|Keepa Pros||Keepa Cons|
There’s not a lot that can be said to be wrong with Keepa’s platform. Most users have appreciated the size of their inventory which is simply massive. It supports countries like France, Spain, India.
But that’s not the most loved thing about Keepa. It is their advanced and interactive graphs and charts which is their USP. Graphs like Sales Rank history, Buy Box price history, Offer Count, Rating/Review is widely praised. Their utility has been talked about a lot.
You can also export all that data and use it as you wish or create your own charts. Though you’ll have to get the Premium subscription for doing this on a large scale.
You can also use Keepa API and get all of the features like Product finder, marketplace offers, Buy Box information, etc and use it as you please. The Keepa API pricing plans are different than the regular subscription plan.
CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa: Who wins?
After having looked at the various features, pros, and cons of both CamelCamelCamel and Keepa, I think you already have your answer.
If not, let me say it for you,Keepa is definitely the better of the two Amazon Price trackers we’ve talked about today. Keepa just does more, has more data, more products on its radar, and is just the perfect choice for product researchers.
With Keepa you are well-equipped to not just make your purchasing decisions as consumers but also make business decisions as an Amazon seller or an eCommerce business owner. Keepa also gets you the price history tracking of Ebay’s platform which CamelCamelCamel does not. Developers can also utilize Keepa’s full functionality with its API support.
Users who have used Keepa and its premium service have spoken highly of how the data has helped them in their business decisions. They are several dedicated guides to use Keepa for business which just goes to show the faith people have placed in Keepa.
In saying that, I do not mean to say CamelCamelCamel is bad. No, absolutely not. CamelCamelCamel is absolutely amazing especially because it is completely free. What more could you ask more? CamelCamelCamel reviews have generally been great and reiterate the same.
You get to track products, set alerts, see the price history of over 10 million products without even having to download something on your computer. I mean, that is definitely praiseworthy.
- Jungle Scout vs Terapeak 2021: Which One Worth The HYPE?
- Riley Bennett On How to Start Amazon FBA Business From Scratch
- AmazeOwl vs Jungle Scout 2021 | Which One Is The Best (Pros & Cons)
- Jungle Scout Vs ASINspector 2021: Which One Is Legit? (Must Read)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is CamelCamelCamel owned by Amazon?
No. Camelcamelcamel was founded by Daniel Green and developed by Cosmic Shovel.
Has Camelcamelcamel removed sales rank feature?
Yes, as of 28th Feb 2019, Camelcamelcamel has removed the sales rank feature.
Who owns Keepa?
Keepa is owned by Ukrainian designers Irena Zablotska and Eugene Rudyy but they are based in Germany.
What is the Buy Box?
Buy Box is what Amazon uses to refer to the price a certain product is featured at on their website.
How can I pay for Keepa?
You can via Credit card. They have partnered with Stripe for processing their Payments
Can I share my Keepa subscription with others?
Yes, you can. However, you should be careful as anyone with your account credentials can delete your account.
Conclusion:CamelCamelCamel vs Keepa Comparison 2021
CamelCamelCamel and Keepa are both amazing tools to track Amazon products, their prices, deals, and other relevant data.
Both get the job done at different levels. CamelCamelCamel is more for the normal consumer looking to just shop his favorite product while getting a good deal. Keepa, on the other hand, fulfills the job for both a normal consumer as well as a professional business owner and product researcher.
You cannot go wrong with either if you’re a normal consumer looking to purchase your favorite products online. However, if you require data for making business choices, finding opportunities in a particular niche, Keepa is definitely the way to go.