In this post, we will discuss Computer Hardware Engineers Stats 2023
Image credit: pexels
Brief Stats on Computer Hardware Engineers
- $128,170 per year and $61.62 per hour is the median pay in the year 2021.
- They require only a Bachelor’s Degree for a Typical Entry-Level Education.
- They don’t require any work experience in a related occupation.
- They don’t require any on-the-job training.
- There were 66,200 jobs in the year 2020.
- The job outlook from 2020 – 2030 is only 2% which is slower than average.
Engineers who work with computer hardware
Circuit boards, processors, networks, routers & memory devices are among the computer hardware components that computer hardware engineers study, design, create, and test.
Duties of Computer Hardware Engineers
Typical tasks for computer hardware engineers include:
- Create schematics for computer equipment to be constructed and design new computer hardware.
- Evaluate the desktop hardware they develop, analyze the results, and make any necessary changes to the design.
- Upgrade existing computer hardware to make it compatible with new software.
- Oversee the computer hardware manufacturing process.
- Many hardware engineers create gadgets that include CPUs & various computer components that link to the Internet and are used in produced items. Many new autos, household appliances, & medical devices, for example, include Internet-ready computer systems.
Computer hardware experts ensure that the latest software and computer hardware components operate together. As a result, hardware engineers frequently collaborate with software developers. Software & hardware for smartphones and other devices, for example, are routinely developed concurrently.
In 2020, there were approximately 66,200 positions for computer hardware engineers.
The following were the biggest employers of desktop hardware engineers:
- Design of computer systems and related services accounts for 22%
- Manufacturing of semiconductors and other electronic components accounts for 12%.
- Physical, engineering, and biological sciences research and development account for 9%
- The government of Canada accounts for 8%
- Manufacturing of computer and peripheral devices accounts for 5%
Schedules of Work
- The majority of computer hardware engineers are full-time employees.
- The majority of hardware engineers operate in laboratories where they evaluate various computer models.
What Does It Take to Be a Computer Hardware Engineer?
A bachelor’s degree from an authorized program is normally required for computer hardware engineers.
A bachelor’s degree is required in computer engineering or a related subject, like computer & information technology, for entry-level computer hardware engineers.
Companies may prefer to recruit engineers who have finished a program approved by a professional organization such as ABET. To prepare for a degree in electrical or computer engineering, candidates should have an excellent foundation in math and physics.
Hardware engineers should be proficient with computer programming because they routinely deal with computer software systems. Computer science courses can give this background.
Some major companies or specialized jobs may demand a master’s degree in computer engineering. Certainly experienced engineers can get a master’s degree in business administration (MBA). Engineers must continue to learn throughout their careers in order to keep up with increasing technological breakthroughs.
While still in school, certain pupils participate in internships to get practical experience.
Certain engineers in computer hardware go on to manage computers and information systems.
- Analytical abilities. Computer hardware engineers evaluate digital circuits in hardware using computer programming tools to determine the optimal design.
- Skills in critical thinking. These engineers utilize reasoning and logic to explain goals, investigate assumptions, and evaluate alternative solutions for strengths and flaws.
- Skills in problem-solving. Computer hardware engineers investigate difficult computer hardware problems, design and evaluate potential solutions, and choose the best approach to implement them.
- Communication abilities Engineers frequently operate in groups and must communicate with other software developers, programmers & engineers as well as non-technical team members.
In May 2021, the average yearly income for desktop hardware engineers was $128,170. Half of the workers in a given profession received more than that amount, while the other half earned less. The bottom 10% of earners made less than $77,100, while the top 10% made more than $208,000.
In May 2021, the following were the median yearly incomes for desktop hardware engineers in the largest sectors where they worked:
- In Physical, engineering, and biological sciences research and development around $164,980
- In the Manufacturing of computer & peripheral equipment around 131,560
- In the manufacturing of semiconductors and other electronic components around 127,690
- In the design of computer systems and related services around 127,690
- Around 119,770 in the federal government.
Computer hardware engineers’ employment is expected to expand 2% between the year 2020 to 2030, which is slower than the median for all occupations.
Despite mild job growth, computer hardware engineers should have about 4,500 opportunities annually on average in the next decade. The bulk of such opportunities will most probably occur from the need to replace workers who change jobs or leave the profession for other reasons, such as retirement.
As more companies beyond the electronic and computer product manufacturing industry continue to research and create their own electronic devices, demand for these engineers is projected to rise. However, because centralized computing & networking services cover broad networks and geographic areas, fewer engineers may be required.
A surge in hardware startup firms, as well as the continued growth in the number of items with computer chips incorporated in it, such as home appliances, medical equipment, and automobiles, may result in some job growth for these professionals.
Data By State and Region
Wage and Employment Statistics by Occupational (OEWS)
The Occupational Employment & Wage Statistics (OEWS) program estimates employment and wages for more than 800 occupations every year.
These figures are accessible for the entire country, particular states, as well as metropolitan & nonmetropolitan areas. The following links will take you to OEWS data maps of employment and salaries by state and region.
Labor Market Information (LMI) or individual state Employment Predictions agencies generate occupational employment projections for all states. www.projectionscentral.com has all state projections data.
This site’s data allows you to compare anticipated job growth for a given occupation across states or within one state. Furthermore, states may create projections for specific places; there are references to each state’s website where this information can be found.
Hundreds of professional profiles are provided on CareerOneStop, with data organized by state & metro area. Analyze occupational jobs by state & occupational salaries by local region or metro area using the links in the left-hand menu. There’s also a salary search feature that allows you to look up salaries by zip code.
This table presents a list of vocations that have similar job responsibilities to computer hardware engineers.
(Get the entire tabular data image from the source website)
- Most Important LinkedIn Stats You Should Know
- Internet Statistics & Facts: A list of Internet, eCommerce, Hosting, Mobile, and Social Media statistics.
- Browser Statistics: Facts, and Figures You’ve Never Heard Before
Conclusion: Computer Hardware Engineers Stats 2023
We hope you like the facts and figures presented in this article. Do let us know your thoughts or feedback in the comment section below.