At present, making money on the web has become a trend all over the world. More and more webmasters are willing to set up an online store to sell something for profit generation. As the foundation of these e-commerce sites lies on the proper shopping carts or e-commerce platforms, we have listed the top 5 open source scripts in the following. All of the 5 recommendations are user-friendly, coming with a large user base around the globe.
1 – osCommerce
osCommerce is a powerful script that helps you set up the self-owned e-commerce sites for free. At present, this tool supports for more than 13,300 registered sites and 285,000 members. As surveyed among hundreds of real users, almost all of them are highly satisfied with this tool with no serious complaints at all.
To use this tool for the selling and marketing of your items or services, you simply need a quality e-commerce hosting that supports PHP with the version 5 and MySQL with the version 5. There are some great options listed in this page, each of which is of top-notch service and budget-friendly charges.
- There are at least 7,000 add-ons available with this tool, all of which are free of use. With them, you can manage the content, images, languages, shipping, templates and many more with much ease.
- To provide the best selling experience, osCommerce establishes the business relationship with many third parties, such PayPal, Sage Pay, oscTemplates, Mini Template System and many more.
- osCommerce has a huge forum that is coming with more than 1.6 million postings and 280,000 members. Therefore, once you are in trouble, you can ask someone for help easily. Even, you can contact with osCommerce developers directly with the live chat support.
2 – Magento
Magento is a PHP based e-commerce script. Coming with more than $50 billion transactions for each year, this tool has become a top option for many business owners.
This tool has two editions that are coming with a high level of flexibility and ease of use to boost your revenues online.
This e-commerce edition is of high performance and scalability for the large and fast-growing business. With it, you can be empowered with the advanced merchants for delivering the engaging experiences to your customers via any devices and channels.
With this edition, you can enjoy the features of personalized contents, layered navigation and search function, integrated responsive design, 2-step checkout and many more.
This is an advanced edition that is suitable for some developers or experienced users who are looking to explore more flexibilities of Magento. With it, you can be presented with the code visibility to achieve an engaging and unique e-commerce site without much hassle.
To be frank, this is an out-of-box e-commerce solution that offers all the languages, tax rates, currencies and many other features to help you sell and promote your items in an attractive manner.
3 – PrestaShop
This is another professional and rock-solid open source script for the effective building and management of online stores. As it is developed under the General Public License, you can download and install it without spending even one penny.
- There are more than 2,000 professional templates that are suitable for e-commerce sites. With the Live Configurator, you can customize these themes by changing the colors and fonts with ease.
- You can set up a mobile-friendly online store with the 100% responsive design.
- There are over 310 default features available to give you an excellent experience for selling online. All of these features are free to use.
- You can choose from more than 50 payment methods and gateways to make the paying process instantly.
4 – Tomato Cart
This is a new generation of open source script. As the branch of osCommerce, Tomato Cart focuses on simplicity, making the process of site building easier and faster than ever before. Check some core features of this tool in the following.
- Tomato Cart offers the RIA based control panel that is coming with the graphic IU and desktop applications.
- It offers the easy management for your articles, FAQs, banners, templates, slideshows, images and many more.
- You can enjoy the easy management for catalog, product, customers, users, order, payment, shipping, checkout, email and many more.
- This tool is SEO optimized, allowing you to set up the meta information, static URLs, Google Sitemap, URL rewrite and some other configurations.
5 – CubeCart
The last recommendation is CubeCart. With its intuitive interface, you can feel easy to set up the e-commerce site for the selling of both digital and physical products online. Besides, this tool enables unlimited customers, orders, produces and item categories. Even, you can get the 100% responsive skin, quick shipping quote, built-in social plugins, image cropper, default integration of Google Analytics and many more.
There are 4 main technical requirements for running this tool properly.
- Operating system of Unix or Linux
- The latest version of Apache web server with the mod_rewrite
- PHP version 5.2.x or higher
- MySQL version 4.1 or higher
I hope you like listing of PHP open source script to Set Up an E-Commerce Website.