Over-the-top (OTT) streaming services are becoming increasingly popular as more people cut the cord and switch to digital media. But what do the numbers actually look like?
How much money is being spent on OTT services and how much content is being consumed? Here’s a look at some of the most important OTT statistics you need to know in 2023.
The Amount of Content Being Watched
According to a recent survey, an average of nine hours per week is spent watching streaming services. This number is expected to rise as more people switch from traditional television to digital media.
On top of that, the average person watches two different streaming services each month. That means that the total amount of content being consumed continues to increase steadily year after year.
The Amount of Money Being Spent
In 2021, it’s estimated that $32 billion will be spent on OTT subscriptions alone. That’s an astounding amount of money just for one year! It goes to show just how popular these services have become and how willing people are to pay for access.
Plus, with more subscription options on the horizon, it’s likely that this number will only grow in 2022 and beyond.
Mobile Use Is Increasing
One interesting statistic about OTT usage is that mobile devices are becoming increasingly popular for watching content. In fact, over 58% of all streaming content is now watched on a phone or tablet device rather than a TV or laptop computer! This figure has steadily increased since 2018 and shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.
This statistic is particularly important when considering which platforms you should target with your ad campaigns. You may want to consider investing more resources into mobile-focused strategies as they will give you the best return on investment in terms of reaching your target audience.
This shows just how important it is for companies to ensure their content looks good across multiple platforms if they want to stay competitive in this market.
OTT statistics: Platforms
With more than 300 OTT platforms to watch content and advertise products or services in the U.S. alone, you might be wondering which ones are the most popular.
If that’s the case, we’ve put together a list of OTT platform facts that will blow your mind. Below are the most important OTT statistics for 2022, broken down by platform:
- Amazon Prime Video
- HBO Max
Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services out there, and it’s only getting bigger. As more people are opting to stay home and binge-watch their favorite shows and movies, Netflix is taking over the streaming world. Here’s a look at some of the most impressive Netflix statistics for 2022 so far.
- By 2026, Netflix is expected to generate $67 billion in OTT SVOD revenue worldwide. (Source)
- In the opinion of U.S. adults, Netflix offers the best selection of original content. (Source)
- Netflix has 61 million active subscribers worldwide, making it the largest OTT provider. (Source)
- It is estimated that 75 million Americans and Canadians subscribe to Netflix (Source)
- Netflix is streamed on a TV by 80% of its users. (Source)
- The average Netflix user watches 3.2 hours of content a day. (Source)
- There is a 70% share of adult OTT SVOD viewing time spent on Netflix. (Source)
- There are 52% of Netflix users are female (Source)
- There are 48% of Netflix users are male (Source)
- Netflix is the streaming platform preferred by 47% of Americans.(Source)
- Gen Z teenagers watch Netflix content daily at a rate of 35%. (Source)
- Millennials make up 33% of Netflix users. (Source)
- Netflix users make up 26% of Gen X.(Source)
- The number of Americans who watch Netflix on a daily basis is 23%. (Source)
- Netflix users over 65 make up 22% of the audience. (Source)
- Approximately 18% of Netflix users are members of Generation Z. (Source)
Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime Video is an online streaming service offered by Amazon. It offers users access to a huge library of movies and TV shows on demand, as well as the ability to rent or purchase new releases. With an Amazon Prime account, users have access to all of these benefits without any additional charges.
The content available on Amazon Prime Video varies depending on your location and the type of subscription plan you purchase. However, most plans include access to thousands of movies and TV shows in HD quality. There are also some exclusive titles available only to Amazon Prime subscribers. Additionally, users can purchase or rent new releases, as well as download content for offline viewing. Let’s go through its statistics for 2022
- According to U.S. adults, Amazon Prime Video offers the second-best collection of original content after HBO Max and Hulu. (Source)
- A majority of Amazon Prime Video’s content is movies. (Source)
- There are 200 million active Amazon Prime Video subscribers worldwide. (Source)
- The Amazon Prime Video subscription rate among 35 to 44-year-olds in the U.S. is 66%. (Source)
- Amazon Prime Video is currently subscribed to by 56% of Americans aged 18 to 34. (Source)
- Amazon Prime Video is used by 53% of women. (Source)
- Amazon Prime Video is mainly used by men, with 47% of users being male. (Source)
- The majority of adults viewing OTT SVOD content on Amazon Prime Video spend 33% of their time on the service. (Source)
- Amazon Prime Video has 31%, millennial users. (Source)
- Almost a third of Amazon Prime Video subscribers are over the age of 65. (Source)
- Prime Video users in Gen X make up 28% of the audience. (Source)
- Gen Z users make up 12% of Amazon Prime Video subscribers. (Source)
- Amazon Prime Video is watched daily by 3% of Gen Z teenagers worldwide. (Source)
Over the past years, YouTube has become an integral part of our lives; it is a platform for creativity, entertainment, and education. Whether you are looking for a tutorial on how to make something or a music video to relax after a long day, YouTube has something for everyone. Check out these amazing YouTube stats to see how popular this streaming service is.:
- A total of 2 billion people are active on YouTube worldwide. (Source)
- U.S. YouTube users number 240 million. (Source)
- A YouTube video is streamed every minute for 694 hours. (Source)
- YouTube users under 18 spend 56 minutes a day on the site. (Source)
- Under 18-year-olds in the U.S. use YouTube more than any other mobile video app. (Source)
- Ninety-five percent of millennials between the ages of 18 and 29 use YouTube. (Source)
- YouTube is used by 91% of Americans aged 30 to 49. (Source)
- YouTube is the most popular OTT AVOD video service for adults. (Source)
- U.S. adults use YouTube 81% of the time. (Source)
- YouTube is used by 62% of Gen Zers every day (Source)
- The number of Americans over 65 who use YouTube is 49% (Source)
- YouTube is watched daily by 37% of millennials between 18 and 34. (Source)
- YouTube is viewed daily by 37% of Gen Z teens. (Source)
- Males between the ages of 25 and 34 make up 12% of YouTube’s total active users. (Source)
- Women between 35 and 44 make up 9% of the total number of active YouTube users. (Source)
TikTok is the fastest-growing social media platform right now. It has gained immense popularity since its launch in 2016 and continues to be a juggernaut in the industry. But what can we expect from the platform over the next year? Let’s take a look at some of the most interesting TikTok statistics for 2022 that will help marketers, advertisers, and social media enthusiasts make informed decisions about their strategies.
- U.S. users under the age of 18 are most likely to use TikTok (Source)
- Globally, TikTok has been downloaded by 3 billion people. (Source)
- A TikTok video is viewed by 167 million people every minute. (Source)
- 138 million people use TikTok every month in the U.S. (Source)
- 91 minutes are spent each day on TikTok by users under the age of 18. (Source)
- A new TikTok user joins every second (Source)
- There are 61% of TikTok users are female (Source)
- U.S. adults can be reached by TikTok ads 50% of the time (Source)
- In TikTok, 43% of users are 18-24 years old (Source)
- TikTok has a 39% male user base. (Source)
- About 37% of users find products and services on TikTok (Source)
- TikTok users are 36% between 35 and 54 years old (Source)
- The majority of TikTok users are between 25 and 34 years old (Source)
- TikTok is effective at achieving business goals for 24% of marketers. (Source)
- An average TikTok ad reaches 18% of Internet users. (Source)
- It is estimated that 3% of TikTok users are over 55 years old. (Source)
Hulu is one of the most popular streaming services in the United States, offering both free and paid options for viewers. But what are some of the latest statistics on their viewership? Here’s a look at some of the most interesting numbers surrounding Hulu in 2022.
- A total of $1.6 million is generated by Hulu’s advertising revenue. (Source)
- In the United States, there are 45 million active Hulu subscribers. (Source)
- The number of people watching Hulu with ads is 62% (Source)
- Millennials and Gen Z make up 54% of Hulu’s subscribers. (Source)
- There are 52% of Hulu users are female (Source)
- The average Hulu user earns less than $50,000 a year (Source)
- Males make up 48% of Hulu users (Source)
- Millennials make up 37% of Hulu’s users. (Source)
- In Hulu’s user base, 27% are Gen Xers. (Source)
- Hulu users over 65 make up 19% of its audience. (Source)
- Hulu accounts for 23% of all OTT AVOD viewing by adults. (Source)
- Among adult OTT SVOD viewers, Hulu Plus has a 21% share.(Source)
- Hulu’s Gen Z users make up 17% of its audience. (Source)
- The majority of Gen Z teens watch Hulu content on a daily basis (Source)
HBO Max lets users stream a wide range of TV shows and movies on their TV, mobile phone, and other devices.
Check out these interesting HBO Max statistics to learn more about this powerful OTT platform:
- The revenue from HBO subscriptions reached $4 billion in 2022. (Source)
- A total of $48 million was generated by HBO Max in-app purchases in 2022. (Source)
- The number of HBO Max subscribers is expected to reach 100 million by 2023. (Source)
- Around 76 million HBO Max subscribers are active worldwide. (Source)
- In the U.S., 47 million HBO Max subscribers are active. (Source)
- In 2022, HBO Max apps will have been downloaded 13 million times worldwide (Source)
- HBO Max has a 61% male user base. (Source)
- HBO Max is used by 40% of Millennials (Source)
- HBO Max has 39% female users (Source)
- Gen X accounts for 27% of HBO Max subscribers (Source)
- HBO Max users over 65 make up 20% of the audience (Source)
- HBO Max has 13% Gen Z users (Source)
Among the OTT streaming platforms, Disney+ is a relatively new player. Here are some of our favorite Disney+ statistics:
- 2021 will be the first year that Disney+ generates revenues of $4.2 billion. (Source)
- There were 100 million downloads of Disney+ in its first year, and 10 million in 2020 (Source)
- Around 137 million Disney+ subscribers are active worldwide (Source)
- Approximately 31 hours are watched by U.S. adults each week on Disney+. (Source)
- Disney+ has a male user base of 52% (Source)
- A Disney+ subscription is used by 50% of households without children in the U.S. (Source)
- Disney+ users account for 48% of the total (Source)
- There are 42% of Disney+ users are millennials (Source)
- Disney+ has 23% Gen X users (Source)
- Gen Z accounts for 22% of Disney+ users (Source)
- In the U.S., Disney+ accounts for 18% of all OTT subscriptions (Source)
- Disney+ users are 13% older than 65 (Source)
OTT Subscriber Growth
With these mind-blowing OTT stats for 2022, you can see how OTT is expected to grow worldwide:
- It is anticipated that 3.5 million people will use OTT AVOD by 2027 (Source)
- By 2027, there will be over 1.6 million active OTT SVOD users (Source)
- In 2027, OTT TVOD users are expected to surpass 861 million (Source)
- In 2027, there will be 761 million active OTT video downloaders (Source)
OTT Advertising Statistics
More people are getting rid of their cable subscriptions and switching to OTT streaming services to watch their favorite TV shows and movies.
So, advertising on OTT platforms is one of the best ways to promote your products or services while the people you want to reach are watching videos.
Check out these mind-blowing statistics about OTT ads to learn more about how they can help you.
- A $119 billion revenue will be generated by OTT video advertising by 2023 (Source)
- In 2025, OTT video advertising should generate $52.25 per user (Source)
- The number of programmatic ad impressions on connected TVs in the United States increased by 207% in 2021 (Source)
- In OTT, 72% of viewers remember a particular ad they saw. (Source)
- A new product or service is discovered by 66% of people who watch OTT video content. (Source)
- When watching OTT videos, 65% of viewers check the product information on a second screen. (Source)
- OTT streaming platforms with ads are preferred by 57% of U.S. adults. (Source)
- It’s okay for consumers to watch ads to get free content, according to 43%. (Source)
- In an OTT video, 40% of viewers pause the video to research or purchase the advertised product (Source)
- When OTT subscribers don’t have to pay for their video content, 25% of them will watch up to 10 minutes of advertisements. (Source)
- Advertising on OTT platforms can increase your social media engagement by 24%. (Source)
- Traditional Learning vs Online Learning Statistics: Which Is More Effective?
- Key Software Development Statistics: Trends And Insights
- Jaw-Dropping e-commerce SEO Statistics, Facts and Figures
- Graphic Design Statistics, Insights and Trends: Facts and Figures You Can’t Ignore
Conclusion: Mind-Boggling OTT Statistics 2023
Overall, there’s no doubt that OTT streaming services are here to stay. With more people cutting the cord in favor of digital media and spending billions of dollars on subscriptions each year, it’s clear that this technology isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. By understanding these key OTT statistics, website owners can better prepare themselves for success in the future by adapting their strategies accordingly. After all, knowledge is power!