Everyone wants to record their moments and want it to keep for themselves or either want to show it to the world. Now, that person can be either amateur or pro in recording videos, but the final product is always judged by the way he handles the editing part of the product.
The next question arises “what and how should it be achieved?” The answer to it would be the various video editing software’s that are available on the internet which helps you to edit your videos as you require them to be.
Now one would ask “how do we select the best one from all this video editing software?”, Well, it depends on many factors, firstly look for all the software and see, what do they provide?
What all of them have common, omit those out. Secondly, prioritize your features, that is, rate what features you require more than any other, depending on those features select the ones which meet your description.
It’s very easy to get distracted by the amazing effects and all the special effects that they offer and realizing up in the end that you hardly use them anymore, look for the features that are very important to you.
With all the things that have been discussed above, we can now move onto the things which need to be considered while purchasing the video editing software.
- First and foremost, look for your budget, try to divide the products into the price range and decide the ones that provide the most feature in the least budget possible.
- Then comes the User interface of the video editing software, the User interface is one thing which you might not want to neglect, after all, if you don’t feel good and easy while editing how are you going to edit things which demand more time with the software.
- One of the things that can’t be neglected is checking for the input formats, many recording devices output videos in different formats, you want to check that software which can handle your desired formats.
- Many video software offers an unlimited number of tracks for you to edit but let’s be real here; you won’t be able to use more than ten tracks simultaneously, check for the ones that provide with the number of tracks you want to have.
- Lastly, you want to look for the special effects offered, audio control, software upgrades and software stability as well.
Considering the computer and the things mentioned above, you can buy a decent video editing software for yourself. Below are some of the editor’s top 10 video editing software available on the market:
List of Best Video Editing Software 2019
SOFTWARE FEATURES LINKS 1. Adobe Premiere Pro CC Allows multi cam editing.
3D editing is best done in
Supports 4k XAVC-S Format.
Also, exports to H.265 (HEVC)
Get It Now 2. Apple Final Cut Pro X Direct access to content libraries
Can make 3D Studio quality titles in few clicks.
Get It Now 3. Apple iMovie Audio tools are abundant.
Supports 4k resolution.
Theater feature also shares movies to all Apple devices.
Get It Now 4. Corel Video Studio Ultimate X10 Large collection of tools
Clear, simple and easy to understand User interface.
Supports 4k and 3D media
Track Transparency, time remapping, and mask creation features.
Get It Now 5. Cyberlink PowerDirector 15 Ultimate Useful for beginners as well as advanced users.
Swift and elegant performance.
Full 360-degree edit and export are
Get It Now 6. Pinnacle Studio 20 ultimate Motion tracking
Stop motion animation
Easy track transparency
360-degree video editing
Get It Now 7. Adobe Premiere Elements Guided Edits ease both basic and advanced edits.
A unlimited number of video tracks.
Keyword tag media is there.
Supports 4K XAVC-5 format.
Get It Now 8. Nero Video (Nero Vision) Disc authoring, burning and playing.
Easy to use and understand.
An ultimate number of video tracks.
Full online technical support.
Get It Now 9. Vegas Movie Studio Automatic motion tracking is present.
Supports 3D editing.
Supports 4K XAVC-S Format.
It comes with the touch screen support.
Get It Now 10. Magix Movie Edit Pro Premium Storyboard and timeline mode
Effects, transitions, menus, intros, and outros
99 multimedia tracks.
Get It Now
Best video Editing Software of 2018 With Review
One of the best video editing software out there. Adobe Premiere Pro was developed by Adobe systems and published as a part of the Adobe Creative Cloud Licensing program.
The release date of the Adobe Premiere Pro is 2003, and it was the successor of Adobe Premiere. It is available for Windows, OS X Yosemite and later versions of them.
A trial feature of the software is available on the Adobe website which can be used for a limited amount of time.After migrating to a subscription-based model for all its applications, the pace of innovation has moved at a steady pace for Adobe with the advantage being that all users get to benefit from the latest features without having to think whether upgrading financially worth or not.
It’s one download away and even available as a trial for the users who want to use it first and see, how the software is, it can then be purchased after using up the trial version or can be directly bought. Some of the pros and cons are listed below :
- It’s best for professional editors.
- No of video tracks are unlimited.
- Allows multi cam editing.
- 3D editing is best done in
- Supports 4k XAVC-S Format.
- Also, exports to H.265 (HEVC)
- Allows collaboration with team projects in real time which could be helpful in filming documentaries or things that require a greater effort.
- Accelerated dynamic link
- Flexible user interface
- Better Performance
- Virtual reality video support
- Native support for high-resolution formats
- Better collaboration with libraries.
- Audio workflows made much easier
- Redefined user interface with HiDPI support.
- GPU-optimized playback.
- Custom markers
- Interoperable with other Adobe CS products and third-party tools.
- Excellent stabilization.
- Graphics templates prove highly useful.
- More streamlined title tools.
- Doesn’t have automatic motion tracking.
- Keyword tag media is not present.
- Occasional crashes.
- Quite slow at rendering than final cut pro.
- The User interface of the Adobe premiere pro cc is much similar to the usual mac look
- Visual interface starts to be like outdated.
- It’s a subscription-only model.
Apple Final Pro X (pronounced as” Apple Final Pro Ten”) is a professional non-linear video editing application which means a form of audio, video or image editing where the original content is not modified in the course of editing instead the different edits are modified and specified by specialized software. It was published by the Apple Inc. As part of their Pro Apps family of software programs.
Final Cut Pro was its predecessor, and it was released on June 21, 2011, for sale on Apple Mac App store. It’s much similar to the Apple’s consumer video editing software, iMovie which shares some of its code and Interface design philosophy.
However, it provides more power for video editing projects than iMovie offers and does a remarkable job of bridging consumers and professionals who want to create content for movies and TV.
Considering its price before and after, one can say it’s an upgraded pricing allowing you to install The new Final Cut Pro X to be installed on multiple MACs. The original price was around $999, and the new one comes at around $299. Comparing it to Adobe’s Competing Premiere Pro as part of Creative Cloud subscription for $19.99 per month.
Assets can be used together in multiple projects, and the previously discrete events and project panels can be combined. Libraries are much similar to catalogs in adobe photoshop Lightroom in the way they can be backed up to separate drives like databases.
It’s much faster which uses the full advantage of 64-bit and multi-core processing, which eliminates a lot of waiting time. Previous versions such as final cut pro 7 were 32 bit which usually cannot take advantage of more than 4GB Ram.
For people seeking a great deal on the mac for video editing, final pro X can be a daunting upgrade from iMovie. It offers a load of features while enhancing the performance of the whole system which makes it more flexible and easy to use.
- Magnetic timeline present which eliminates many unwanted gaps in the timeline as well as other powerful controls available.
- Multichannel audio editing is present which allows audio to be set into different channels, edit every channel or disable some or all of them and finally embedding with different set creating a whole new set of audios.
- Multi-cam features allow you to work in native as well as real time with a variety of formats, frame sizes, and frame rates.
- Clip connections help in keeping related clips together and makes it easy to place items such as B-roll, sound effects, and music in the timeline.
- Auditions feature makes it easy to try out different shots and find the perfect one.
- Can make 3D Studio quality titles in few clicks.
- Advanced Chroma Keying controls for color sampling, edge adjustment, and light wrap.
- Easy to export file to a wide range of destinations, including iPhone, iPad, apple tv and the web.
- Streamlined share.
- Unified import window provides a simple way to quickly import media from video cameras, DSLRs and drives.
- Direct access to content libraries
- Content auto-analysis.
- 3D editing is not possible in Apple Final Cut Pro X
- Can’t import projects from previous versions natively but you can use third party tools to do the same.
- Custom export settings require separate compressor app.
- Only available for Mac.
3. Apple iMovie
Originally released in 1999 as a Mac OS 8 application bundled with the first FirstWire-enabled consumer Mac model-the iMac DV. iMovie is the video editing software application sold by Apple Inc. For the Mac and iOS which includes iPhone, iPad, iPad mini and iPad Touch.
License type of iMovie is proprietary which usually means that the software for which the software’s publisher or another person retains intellectual property rights usually copyright or the source codes. iMovie is available for free if once purchased on or after October 10, 2010, in the mac app store but if for some reason it isn’t you can buy it for $15.
Its interface not only shows you the limited no of tools but show you the tools that are necessary which provides a clean interface without cluttering everything.
Dragging inserted clips around in the timeline has never been this easy, and they automatically cling to their neighboring clips. The latest version of iMovie supports the full 4k resolution and works flawlessly.
It’s said to store the projects in hard drive first, but if time is not to do that and you need it directly on the social networking sites, iMovie has got you covered, you can directly post your 4k videos to YouTube or some other social networking sites. It even allows you to share it your iTunes library.
iMovie is much better for the novices because of the iMovie’s flexibility, convenient drag and drops action and subtle educational features that automatically offer clues on how to shoot and construct a solid story. Before spending huge money on some other editing software, it might worth to give iMovie a shot and see if this is all you need if not, you can always go for the other ones.
- The interface is simple.
- Themes and trailers are more professional oriented.
- Audio tools are abundant.
- Supports 4k resolution.
- Theater feature also shares movies to all Apple devices.
- Allows you to select various types of styles to add beautifully animated titles and credit to your movie.
- High fidelity filters.
- Extra special effects such as change speed, add split-screen effects,
- Built-in music, sound effects and voiceover recording make it easy to create a movie that sounds as good as it looks.
- Supports 4K XAVX-S format.
- It lacks multi-cam.
- Other editing software has motion tracking feature; it lacks that too.
- 360-degree features are not present.
- It is limited in its output controls.
- No of video tracks that are available is 2.
- 3D editing cannot be done here as compared to Adobe Premiere Pro CC which allows 3D editing as well.
- Doesn’t export to H.265 (HEVC).
- Only for MAC OS X.
Corel VideoStudio previously known as Ulead VideoStudio is developed for Microsoft windows distributed by Ulead Systems. Corel VideoStudio X10 is the latest version of the video editing software. It has always been the favorite of the consumers and enthusiast video editing for windows users.
Flexible and easy to use, offers a wide range of sophisticated tools makes it one of the best video editing software. It’s very much similar to its VideoStudio X10 pro which costs around the same but differs in some of the features that come in ultimate but in the pro version.
You may also like:
Ultimate version includes a collection of 14 premium effects which cannot be found in the pro version, including three new ones: ProDAD Adorage Effects Package Volume 9-Particle & Object effects, NewBlue Titler Pro 1 and Boris Title Studio.
Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X10 is easy enough for the novices to easily navigate through all of their features which makes it as a top-notch consumer-oriented package. There is much powerful software out there, but its mask creation, 360-degree editing functionality, and other features make it one of the advanced and decent editors on windows.
- Large collection of tools
- Clear, simple and easy to understand User interface.
- Supports 4k and 3D media
- Track Transparency, time remapping, and mask creation features.
- Supports 4K XAVX-5 format.
- Exports to H.265(HEVC).
- Consumer oriented.
- Allows you to import multi-layer graphics
- Powerful 64-bit architecture
- Intel 6th Gen Core Technology optimization
- Easy to share.
- Limited 360-degree video editing
- It has only one main video editing track.
- It can have at max 20 number of video tracks.
Officially released on 2001;16 years ago for Windows operating system developed by CyberLink. PowerDirector enables the trimming, joining, and overlaying of clips and effects, which also supports some new formats with the power of 360-degree footage.
It is available in various languages such as English, French, German, etc. It does have some tools which can be learned by novices to understand how video editing works but with that, it does come with some set of advanced tools which can take the video editing to next level.
It is capable of importing, editing and exporting high-end resolution videos as well as it has a new module which allows anyone to manipulate 360-degree video.
To obtain a single seamless video with the look and feel of a professionally produced piece, it comes up with a tool known as a multi-cam module which allows one to import footage from multiple sources which can be synced together and angles can be switched easily.
Further, its action cam feature eliminated the need to edit the footage captured with cameras in a separate environment and importing them into power director.
One other feature of PowerDirector is the motion tracking which follows and isolates the moving object; this is important in situations where you want to manipulate the moving object rather than the still background or object beside it.
- Useful for beginners as well as advanced users.
- Swift and elegant performance.
- Full 360-degree edit and export are
- Motion tracking is present, which isolates moving objects from still objects and lets you focus on them.
- Screen recording is present.
- Only available for windows.
- The interface might look a tad messy.
- Keyword tag media not present.
- No of video tracks available are limited e. 100.
Developed and released by Pinnacle Systems as the consumer counterpart to pinnacle’s former professional-level software, liquid edition. Its available for Windows and iOS providing the professional-quality results. This product can be obtained for $129.95 from their website.
It best works with 64-bit versions architecture computers. The total files size is about 1.6 GB to download which would require a high-end internet connection which further expands to 5 Gb of files on the local disk.
Its motion tracking tools let you isolate moving objects from still objects allowing you add effects to the moving objects instead of the background. It also gives you the flexibility to edit 360-degree videos which can be captured from any high-end video camera.
The multi-cam features let you collect footage from multiple sources which can be synced together to provide a seamless video. It is also well known for it stops motion feature. However, you cannot create animated GIFs with it.
- Motion tracking
- Stop motion animation
- Easy track transparency
- 360-degree video editing
- Unlimited number of video tracks
- Supports multi-cam editing
- Supports 3D editing which is not supported in most of the video editing software.
- 4K XAVC-S Format is supported
- More than 2000 special effects
- Live screen capture
- Choppy 4k performance.
- Slow rendering performance as compared to others.
It was developed and released by Adobe Systems for its novice editors and consumers. While marketed separately, it is usually bundled with added value with adobe photoshop elements. Its main rivals in the market are PowerDirector, Sony Vegas Movie Studio, Sony Vegas and iMovie.
Unlike many of its competitors can handle multiple video tracks which is one of the features what made it number one selling consumer video editing software. It is available for the trial use on their website which can be used for a limited time and after the trial period expired it requires you to buy it from the Adobe for further usage.
Adobe premiere elements are available for windows and OS X. It’s available with Photoshop Elements for $150 or even as a standalone app for $100. All of these are one-time fees; Remember any videos made with the trial version gets a watermark stamped on it.
It contains three modes Quick, Expert and Guided mode, every one of them is different in the way they operate, first one is the quick mode which allows the user to pick what media he wants in his video and then the program arranges it on the timeline for him. You can fine tune It afterward but this is quick and an easy way to do so.
Expert mode is basically for the people who are experts in the software and know what they exactly want to do with their video. There are not training wheels, just the simple timeline, and editing tools.
Lastly, Guided editing mode gives the opportunity to learn every feature and tools found in the adobe premiere elements. It walks you through every component of the interface telling you what and how to use it.
Adobe premiere elements take about 1.5 Gb of disk space, so make sure to have a high-end internet to download the program. As already said its mainly a subset version of the Pro versions of the adobe video editing software, it is better for novices and provides a good education on how to create compelling projects with the support for 4k as well.
However, it is not the most powerful or fastest video editing software, and you might want to look for some other powerful software such as VideoStudio Pro or Final Cut Pro X.
- Different audio editing tools available.
- Simple User interface.
- Guided Edits ease both basic and advanced edits.
- A unlimited number of video tracks.
- Keyword tag media is there.
- Supports 4K XAVC-5 format.
- Multi-cam editing is not present.
- 3D editing can’t be done.
- Doesn’t support exports to H.265(HEVC)
- Slower performance.
8. Nero Video (Nero Vision)
Nero Video is previously known as Nero Vision until 15 October 2011 developed and released by Nero AG which provides simple functions for novices as well as advanced video editing functions for professional video editors. Its initial release was on 12 April 2010, and It is only available for Windows operating systems. It comes up with multiple languages depending on the region you belong to or the language you want it to have.
It contains two types of editing mode, one is the express, and the other one is the advanced mode. They are very much similar to the storyboard and timeline found in other products. Express editing allows one to build their project one by one with each thumbnail for each object user adds.
It is great for simple and small projects because it requires less trimming whereas advanced editing is where you can find the classic timeline format which lays out every element chronologically.
One can switch from express editing mode to advanced editing mode at any time of the project, but once a change is made in the advanced editing mode, he cannot move back to express.
Upon completion of the editing, the user can either export the film as a file or could directly upload it on the web. It comes up with another module which lets any user to simply burn their projects onto the DVDs and Blu-Rays and even personalize the discs menu and chapters step by step. Its available for $49.95 in the market.
Though it’s a simple application to use but its ability to compress videos is shoddy at best, and it lacks the usability which separates good video editing applications from the best.
- More than 400 effects, enhancements and transitions present.
- Disc authoring, burning and playing.
- Easy to use and understand.
- An ultimate number of video tracks.
- Full online technical support.
- Outdated interface elements.
- Slow startup.
- Interface mastering can take some time.
- Motion tracking is not present.
- The multi-cam feature is not available.
Vegas movie studio is previously known as the Sony Vegas movie studio which was developed for windows platform. It is a consumer-based nonlinear video editing software which is a form of audio, video or image editing where the original content is not modified in the course of editing instead the edits are themselves are specified and modified by very specialized software.
It can edit at max ten video or audio tracks whereas there is other video editing software which can edit an unlimited number of audio and video tracks. Its Platinum edition, however, can edit with 20 video and audio tracks.
It’s available on three levels. First one comes as the base edition which costs around $50, the second one comes for $80 it is known as platinum edition which adds Blu-ray authoring,3D editing, color matching, NewBlueFX transitions, Stabilization, Color correction, time stretching, picture-in-picture and plugs in support.
The last one is the movie studio suite which comes at $150, it adds a passel of third-party video and audio effects.
Further, it comes up with the trial version which you can use before actually spending money on the software until you are satisfied with it and think it is the one.
Considering every aspect of it, one can say for every price range it has everything that you need, with its tutorial system one can learn and master it very easily.
- Automatic motion tracking is present.
- Supports 3D editing.
- Supports 4K XAVC-S Format.
- It comes with the touch screen support.
- 4K video editing is present.
- Its interface can be easily
- Lots of effects and transitions, with pug-in
- Rendering performance is slow
- A number of video and audio tracks are 20 as compared to other which provides more than it.
- No template video storyboards.
- It can be more challenging for non-professionals who are not used to video editing software.
- Keyword tag media not present.
- Doesn’t export to H.265(HEVC)
It also comes from the nonlinear video editing software category designed by German Magix Software GmbH for the PC. Its initial release was published in 2001 and was one of the best-selling software in European retail.
The recommended requirements for the software are the Quad-core processor with 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM and a dedicated graphics card with 512 MB Memory. It also employs what is known as proxy editing, what it does is that it creates lower-resolution versions of your footage for you to work with and when you are finished with your work it will simply export from the original files. It’s a great feature because of the time required to spend gets reduced.
There are two features that are present in it, one is the timeline feature, and the other one is the storyboard mode. The first differs from software to software, but in most of the software, they dedicate their tracks to specific types such as video, audio, and text.
It gives you the 99 tracks that you can put with any media increasing the flexibility as well as the flow of the whole project. This is good for complex projects. Secondly, the other storyboard mode is a great tool for beginners which allow them to see all the elements in their project regardless of how long they run the timeline. It allows to see every element in more broad-strokes fashion, then moves on the timeline to fine-tune their project.
- Storyboard and timeline mode
- Effects, transitions, menus, intros, and outros
- 99 multimedia tracks.
- Automatic wizards.
- 360-degree video
- Automatic shot match
- 3D editing
- Supports 4K XAVC-S Format
- Exports to H.265(HEVC)
- Keyword tag media not present.
- Takes a while to load and install the library.
There is various video editing software out there, it all depends on the choice you make considering the budget and how serious are you about picking the right product. It’s very difficult to select though, but considering the pros and cons and taking of the features that are must have, you can omit out most of the software and end up getting the right product.
Over To You : Best Video Editing Software
I hope you like our list of Best Video Editing Software 2018 and please share your favorite video editing software you like from the list above and do share this list to your friends.